In the High Peaks
















Monday, January 24, 2011

My Winter Is a Season of Audiobooks

Well, early this morning it was nearly thirty degrees below zero Fahrenheit. I don't know what the Centigrade equivalent is, but it was the coldest night since we've lived in the Adirondacks.

Believe it or not, a phone call Saturday night established the fact that I am, once again, teaching two courses. One on Mondays and Wednesdays, the other on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which means a 74-mile round-trip commute four days a week! This crazy schedule will not likely happen again, as I gain seniority, but for this winter and spring, life will be crazy!

Audiobooks: They are in such demand at the library that I never know what I will find. I will learn, however, the best ways to get the precise audiobooks I want.


Currently I'm listening to The Great Hurricane of 1938, a book that details the Category 4 Hurricane that devastated the shorelines of Long Island, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts, as well as inland central Connecticut and Massachusetts. My mother, father, and other relatives frequently recounted their survival tales relating to this historic storm, so it has been intriguing to "hear" about all the details from a historian's point of view and compare notes with all the family stories that have been passed down. A tremendous loss of life and property accompanied this hurricane.

No comments:

Post a Comment