In the High Peaks
















Saturday, April 20, 2013

More Boston Talk (No Books)

Last evening, after a very long day of climactic events in Boston, I called my mom as I often have during this difficult week. And she asked me last night, "Did all of this make you at all homesick for Boston?"  "Oh, yes!" I answered emphatically, "And Ken, too!"

Mom and I discussed the fact that the surviving terrorist, 19 years old, was in my nephew's (her grandson's) class at Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School, graduating in 2011. I haven't spoken to Liam--he lives with my brother in Cambridge, one of the areas in total lock down yesterday. They both must be exhausted. But, because I teach 19-year-olds, and because I've heard so many reports about the high regard the terrorist's friends and teachers held him in, I feel an enormous sense of tragedy.

I am touring around Boston in my dreams at night. And I was so surprised when Ken told me how he wished to be in Boston with his coworkers and friends this week. I was so surprised to hear him say this because Ken has never said anything about missing Boston. Quite the contrary, in fact. I haven't missed the city either--we've both been so content with the wonders of our wilderness. 

It's embarrassing to say this, but the only things we have missed before this week have been ludicrously trivial, such as fresh seafood, superb Chinese and Thai cuisine, Whole Foods supermarket, and just plain all-round excellent food, all of which we most assuredly do not have here in northern New York. We've made do with the inferior fare available at supermarkets, and because we have wealth in our environment, we haven't complained. How important is food anyway? Not at all, in the grand scheme of things.

I think we both need a brief trip back--to visit friends. Ken needs to see his buddies at The Boston Globe. I'd love to spend time with my mother, and then, in the evenings, visit our best friends...in great restaurants, of course. Oops! There goes the family budget! Perhaps we can in the next month.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you do manage to have a trip to Boston. I've just emailed you, nothing exciting, just about the English Civil War.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katrina,
      I do hope we have the chance to visit soon. Perhaps in May. If only we could find someone to live in with Sasha, our golden. Unlike our other dogs, I question whether Sasha would be okay at the Milton Manor Pet Spa and Resort. Sasha had a very different early life than our other dogs. But for a few days? Surely, she would be fine at this incredible boarding facility. The workers are so, so nice there. I'll work on Ken. Thanks for writing, and I'll check the email.

      Delete