In the High Peaks
















Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer Solstice: More Daylight to Plan Vacation Reading

I'm chomping at the bit to begin summer reading. At times I literally have to FORCE myself to sit down and read when school is in session. Once I get started, I'm off, like a rocket launched. But after June 26, watch out!

I want to start my reading summer with something very recently published, as in NEW! I'm thinking of Claire Messud's The Woman Upstairs. Her previous novel, The Emperor's Children, was my #1 favorite for the year it was published. It was not just my favorite; it was, in my opinion, an exquisite, powerful work of art. Not often I get to say that!

But the dilemma of eager readers today: How shall I get the book? Library? No, too much in demand--I'd have a very long wait. Purchase the hardcover? Possibly. Or pay the ridiculous price for the e-book?

Definitely not the Nook book. The problem with an e-book is I don't recall all the details as well as I do with a print copy. I can't go backwards and forwards as I like to do. Well, yes, it's possible--it's just not easy to do. It's a hindrance to go back and forth with an e-book. So I need to order a copy immediately, then. I guess.   Decisions!

I've ordered The Greatcoat by Helen Dunmore from the library. Have you read this one? What is your favorite Dunmore title?

No comments:

Post a Comment