In the High Peaks
















Thursday, September 19, 2013

Mary Stewart Week and Me

Gudrun's Tights is hosting a Mary Stewart Week this week. Darn! I didn't find out about it soon enough to make it as prominent event in my life as I would like it to be. Because it seems to be an annual event, I'll make a note to myself for next year.

Of the many Mary Stewart novels I have voraciously consumed, the only one I didn't like was The Moon Spinners. This may have been due to my earlier viewing of the Walt Disney film starring Hayley Mills. Perhaps I was disappointed because it was not more along the lines of the romance portrayed in the movie. But, to be historically accurate, I was truly bored by the book, which surprised me because it was in stark contrast to my experience reading her other titles.

Nine Coaches Waiting enthralled me beyond reason.

Mom and I went crazy for the three books that were once called The Merlin Trilogy: The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment.  The fourth and fifth books, The Wicked Day and The Prince and the Pilgrim, which tagged along afterward, I haven't read. They may have been published at a time when I wasn't paying attention. What were your impressions?

Wildfire at Midnight and Thunder on the Right were just so much fun! If only Stewart had written more books!

I haven't read The Ivy Tree, but I purchased it last night for the Kindle for $2.99.  Stewart titles for the Kindle abound, but very, very few are available for the Nook. Even on Amazon, I had to fiddle around, using various search phrases before I found the Kindle versions of Stewart's books. Don't give up! Keep trying!

Early this week I borrowed The Stormy Petrel from Crandall Library, the large library in Glens Falls, the closest city to us. The only other titles were so unbelievably old and beaten down and covered with dust! I must encourage Crandall to buy the new paperbacks available.

Please share your personal history with Mary Stewart!!

No comments:

Post a Comment