In the High Peaks
















Saturday, April 26, 2014

Dewey Noon Hour: Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle Vol. I

Late this morning I turned to My Struggle, the Norwegian writer Karl Ove Knausgaard's first volume of his vast autobiographical novel. I learned about this book from a fellow blogger, and I must find out which blogger so I can give proper credit. I'm nearly 50 pages in, and I've found this book is full of the type of writing I love: it's acutely introspective, rich in detail, unsparingly honest, and above all, rivetting. If you love reading the journals of writers, you will appreciate this book. It's been translated into 30 languages and has been extremely popular in Europe. Knausgaard lives in Sweden now. This link will take you to a fascinating interview with Knausgaard in The Paris Review.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are off to a good start. No doubt your beautiful dog keeps you company. I always feel when I read a lot I should be doing something with my 3 dogs instead so I love it when it pours rain and I feel less guilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pam, Sasha does like to sleep within a few feet or yards of my reading spot. We both enjoy super-relaxed states of mind. As far as guilt goes, I feel guilty if I stay inside on a non-rainy day--I feel I'm "wasting" the good weather. As far as Sasha goes, I gave her an extra-long nature hike on Friday, so that alleviated most of that guilt!

      Delete