In the High Peaks
















Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Smothered by My Smorgasbord of Books

On Monday, I started reading one of my BIG summer reads, Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. The weather was hot and ultra-humid with dewpoints in the low seventies. I know it could be worse, but all I'm capable of doing in such weather is reading. And I'll say I was fully absorbed in my reading of the first 50 pages, but I will say I needed to have my wits about me. (My brain becomes water-logged on hot, humid days.)

As mentioned in previous posts, I'm really enjoying Chris Bohjalian's Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands. (See a previous recent entry.)  And I also happen to be reading Bittersweet by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore, a "summer vacation" novel that is about two college roommates, one from a very wealthy New England family and one from a working-class family in Oregon. Although the basics of the plot are hardly new, the two young women travel to Ginevra's family compound on the Vermont shores of Lake Champlain. Although I'm a third of the way through the novel, I was surprised to discover online tonight that this novel has gothic leanings. All the better, I guess. At least that element will help distinguish the plot from many other novels depicting poor girl-wealthy girl summers at the wealthy girl's estate. I'm reading this to write a review of it, and I am indeed enjoying it.


6 comments:

  1. How funny you should mention Bittersweet! I was just thinking I'm more in a mood to read that than Summer House with Swimming Pool. Leaving for Florida this afternoon... will see which is more appealing when I get home.

    Glad you're enjoying Wolf Hall. It took me a long time to read that one, but it was well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn,
      I thoroughly enjoyed Bittersweet. I think what made it a winner for me were the exquisite details of the family compound "estate" on the Vermont shores of Lake Champlain AND the heroine from a humble background who spends a summer there. Lots of action besides, but I found it a page-turner.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about needing your wits about you for Wolf Hall, it is written in a strange style which annoyed quite a lot of people but you get used to it quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katrina,
      Because we have had ultra-fine weather since Thursday, I had to lay Wolf Hall aside. Too much tennis, swimming, and hiking. But we have two horrible weather days on Tuesday and Wednesday, and I hope to make another huge dent in Wolf Hall then. Extreme heat and humidity and all I'm able to do is READ.
      Judith

      Delete
  3. Reading is what you should do -- although I'd love to do it by a lakeside, wading in every now and then to cool off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is perfect for whatever ails you. Heat, humidity, sore muscles, exhaustion--you name it!

      Delete