In the High Peaks
















Friday, October 17, 2014

Books for German Literature Month

Actually, two of my books have arrived. I'm still planning the rest of my reading for November, the dullest month of the year in the Adirondacks. Rain, constantly gray skies, cold, and waiting for snow!

I'm glad to say I have Flight without End by Joseph Roth for Caroline of Beauty is a Sleeping Cat's Joseph Roth Week, November 24-30. It's a short novel, first published in Germany in 1927, and first published in the U.S. in 2003. It's a post-World War I novel set in Germany in the early 1920s. I'm looking forward to it!

The other novel I bought is a YA novel recommended by Thomas of Mytwostostinki.com. (Lazy after work tonight. See my blogroll, please.) It's Young Light by Ralf Rothmann. Eager to read and review it!

I need to study Lizzy of Lizzy's Literary Life's (see my Blogroll) most recent German novel recommendations for more ideas. I'd like at least two more novels.

Please forgive the abbreviated post!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning GLM. I'm looking forward to read the Roth novel. And I've also got the Rothmann after reading the same blog post. He's a writer I like a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline,
      I'm so glad to hear you like Rothmann. It looks like I'd like to at least try to find others of his that have been translated into English.
      I'll enjoy reading your thoughts about Young Light.
      Judith

      Delete
  2. look forward to your thoughts on these ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stu,
      Can't wait to read your thoughts about your German Lit Month. I really enjoy it so much.
      Best to you!! J.

      Delete
  3. It's really nice that you and Caroline include Young Light into your reading list for the German Lit Month. As the translator told me, the novel went rather unnoticed when it was published in English with very few reviews. So maybe some more readers for this good book after you publish your reviews?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thomas,
      Wouldn't that be wonderful if our thoughts about Young Light could interest more people in reading it. But Rothmann! I want to read more of him, for sure.
      Have fun this month, Thomas.
      Judith

      Delete