In the High Peaks
















Thursday, June 1, 2017

Just a Few Summer Reading Plans

I'll just start a list:
I'd like to finish reading John le Carre's memoir The Pigeon Tunnel, listening to it with a hard copy at my elbow. Essential, the hard copy.

Then I'd soon like to read his novel A Small Town in Germany, which I believe is his favorite, at least it seems to have been at the time he wrote his memoir. It involves the collision of the ex-Nazi regime left-over characters and the 1960s younger people coming into power. I have so very much more I want to say about le Carre, so stay tuned over the next couple of months.

I will read another P.D. James novel, which many consider her ultimate best, Devices and Desire. This was published in 1989, immediately before her "departure novel," Children of Men, which I've read and which was extraordinarily original and

I'm terribly unsure about the future of my Classics Club List right now. I read the list last week and not one of them seemed appealing. Not even one! That shocked me. Guess some mood elevation is in order. Coctails? Comedy? Trump does not help. To pull out of the Paris Climate Accord. How could anyone be cheerful, really? I want to know.





8 comments:

  1. As THEY say - 'it's being so cheery as keeps me going!' well you have to try. I intend to begin reading le Carre's books, I'm pretty sure we have them all as J has read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that's why I've given myself a "cheering" summer project. I've got to do something to prevent total despair.
    I think you will like Le Carre--I started with The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, but because each book is really separate, you can read anyone that strikes your fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of Le Carre's books, although I am intrigued by them. Will check in to read your reviews.

    I'm tempted to read The Constant Gardener since I liked the film.

    My father read his books, but unforunately he passed away before many of Le Carre's books were published. He would have liked them.

    Also, I am eager to see what you write about P.D. James' book Devices and Desires.

    As for #45 pulling out of the Paris Climate Accords, I focus on all the other countries who are committed to it, including China. And I look at the many cities and states that are committed to uphold its goals.

    And as for the rest of it, I read Sara Paretsky's latest book, Fallout, which was quite enjoyable.

    And I ate a lot of chocolate. It helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken adores Paretsky's books. I'll put that one on hold for him.
      Yes, chocolate is wonderful, or as one of my friends pointed out, "This is a "I need a stiff drink" presidency as opposed to an "I need a glass of wine" one.

      Delete
  4. Have you read all the Dalgleish books up 'til then? It's a good one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I haven't. I've read a number of those that come before and lots that come after. I think James was at the height of her powers in 1989-1990. I've heard so many good things about Devices and Desires that I can't wait to read it, and I don't want it to be over, which is how I feel about each and every one of her mysteries. She is definitely a cut above!

      Delete
  5. If I wasn't alcohol intolerant, I would be having many stiff drinks, like every day with this crew in D.C.

    But mysteries, movies, books and chocolate will have to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, when I have my glass of wine each day, I'll "share" it with you, in honor of our books shared.

      Delete